Welcome to the Solar Austin Resources page! Here you can find a series of links and posts about important policy, recent news, and other information related to solar and renewable energy in Central Texas. Please tell us what topics, issues, or questions are important to you via our contact us page.
Understanding and Buying A Solar Solar System
Interesting in pursuing solar for your home, and are you an Austin Energy customer? Find out all you need to you know about how a solar system works and the process of acquiring solar on our public utility’s solar page. In a nutshell, there are several steps you need to take and important information you must know to go solar:
- You must pass Austin Energy’s solar education course (Spanish version here).
- There are a couple of different measures to help you pay for solar:
- You must apply for and receive a Letter of Intent (LOI) from Austin Energy before system installation in order to be eligible for Austin Energy rebates and incentives.
- Your solar PV system must be 3kW (AC) or larger.
- And you must use an Austin Energy Participating Contractor to install your system (TIP: get a quote from at least 3 contractors before committing).
Suspicious Solar Ads and Spam
Lately we have noticed a flurry of blatantly false advertising and misinformation designed to exploit unknowing people. Take a look at this blog from the Texas Solar Energy Society to learn more about suspicious ads and spam. If you see a link, social media post, or email related to solar that seems too good to be true, it is!