GENERAL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
While Austin has successfully grown a thriving local solar and renewables industry, people of color and women are underrepresented in the renewable energy field. There is a lack of solar specific pathways in educational and training programs, and a lack of knowledge and resources in clean energy industries to enable hiring a more diverse workforce. Solar Austin and Huston-Tillotson University (HT) aim to overcome the hurdles by piloting an internship matching program to place women and students of color at solar and other clean energy companies. Our goal is to help facilitate pathways for under-represented students into clean energy jobs, and develop a set of best practices to provide a resource for clean energy companies wishing to improve their diverse and inclusive recruitment and hiring processes.
Solar Austin and HT were awarded grant funds via the City of Austin’s “Equitable Access to Green Jobs” program, and are seeking to hire a Program Manager whose management includes company recruitment, securing company commitments to the program guidelines, student recruitment, pitch/recruitment event coordination, intern placement, connecting students with job training and scholarship resources, and follow-up data collection and analysis. This part-time position is grant funded for 9 months, starting immediately, with the possibility to extend with successful fundraising. This position could be full-time or nearly full time, if paired with other duties described in the Solar Austin Communications & Event Coordinator job description.
- Work with Huston-Tillotson University staff and faculty to develop internship program structure from best practices
- Connect with and enrolling solar and energy efficiency companies to host interns
- Recruit college and high school students for clean energy internships
- Plan and execute intern recruiting event
- Mentor interns and companies hosting interns – provide candid feedback to program participants, both corporate and student
- Assist with fundraising to fully implement program
- Report back to the Solar Austin board of directors and Huston-Tillotson regularly on program progress and developments
- Measure, track, and analyze data from program participants (companies and interns)
- Write final report
- Cultural competency and experience working with communities of color and underserved populations.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to convey information to different audiences, such as professionals and students.
- Exhibit strategic diversity and inclusion skills and strong track record of successfully implementing programs and initiatives
- Communicate and influence a broad range of employees and leadership regularly as a subject matter expert for diversity and inclusion
- Experience working with key business stakeholders to develop external partnerships
- Experience doing basic data collection and analysis
- Proven ability to build relationships and influence key partners, ability to get results through collaboration
HELPFUL, BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Bring experience in developing best practices to create internship program aligned to business and academic needs
- Experience driving culture change and collaborating closely with leadership to create and implement D&I solutions that align with, and reflect, our mission, culture, and overall business strategy
- Grant writing or fundraising experience
To apply, email email@example.com with your resume, cover letter and desired salary range.
Solar Austin is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.